01 March 2008

Raison d'être: IBM and the 500 GHz processor

On Saturday night I was hanging out with some friends, it was my wifes birthday and chatting about technology. One of the new friends we met was a retired computer consultant from California. I mentioned to him that IBM had tested a 500 GHz processor. He refused to believe me. Well, I read this press release two years ago and couldn't really remember it. So I created a blog to archive tech articles and events that I find interesting.

Being heavily involved in the Taiwan Hi Tech industry for 7 years now, most of the articles referenced will be particular to this little island that I have come to know as home, but there will also be other articles.

Anyway, for those interested, the original IBM press release dates to 2006 and reads:

"Somers, New York, USA & Atlanta - 20 Jun 2006: IBM and the Georgia Institute of Technology announced today that their researchers have demonstrated the first silicon-based chip capable of operating at frequencies above 500 GHz -- 500 billion cycles per second -- by cryogenically “freezing” the chip to 451 degrees below zero Fahrenheit (4.5 Kelvins). Such extremely cold temperatures are found naturally only in outer space, but can be artificially achieved on Earth using ultra-cold materials such as liquid helium. (Absolute Zero, the coldest possible temperature in nature, occurs at minus 459.67 degrees Fahrenheit)."

(Original Press Release: IBM and Georgia Tech Break Silicon Speed Record

No comments: