17 June 2008

LinkedIn Worth One Billion Dollars

I remember when I started using LinkedIn wayback in early 2005. Then it was a small startup. One of my friends in South China raved about it and said it was an excellent opportunity to establish a global network. My profile is @ http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulsharpe. I just saw today that LinkedIn is valued at more than one billion US dollars. From BusinessWeek.

LinkedIn is joining the Web 2.0 high rollers' club. The professional networking site, home to some 23 million affluent users who sign up to find jobs, hire talent, and connect on projects, is about to become one of the select few social-media companies to attain a valuation of more than $1 billion.

On June 17, LinkedIn announced a $53 million round of funding led by Boston's Bain Capital Ventures. LinkedIn's previous investors, Bessemer Venture Partners, Sequoia Capital, and Greylock Partners, were also part of the latest round. The companies are acquiring a 5% stake that values LinkedIn at $1.015 billion.

There are somethings that I like on LinkedIn. They used to have a great job board but now they never have any posts in Taiwan. The addition of the Q&A section was interesting but I don't spend enough time on it to really benefit. To argue however the 23 million users are affluent would be pushing it a bit. Also, like most social networking sites I guess, many members don't stay active. I know some people I invited to LinkedIn two years ago have not built a network.

However, the site is good. It has its purposes and I have enjoyed playing around with it. Good luck to them.

Article: LinkedIn Joins the Billionaires' Club

No comments: