16 June 2008

Tech Jargon: I am not Alone!

Anyone who has worked with me in the industry or knows me knows one of my pet hates are the pointless and meaningless words marketing people use to describe technology in Taiwan. Instead of calling an "industrial computer" an "industrial computer" they will call it a "ruggerdized industrial solution."

And the word "SOLUTION". Everything is a solution, nothing is a PC or a screen or a digital signage player: They are all solutions! Solutions to what? Nobody ever knows! These phrases drive me nuts. NUTS!

I was really glad to see I am not ALONE! From the Wall Street Journal Business Technology Blog:

One of this blog’s pet peeves is tech jargon. Terms like "solutions," "robust," and "leverage" aren’t just meaningless, they’re harmful. They intimidate people who aren’t familiar with information-technology, at best causing them to stay quiet when they should be asking questions, and at worst, preventing them from taking an interest in IT.

Agreed! Enough said. And please feel free to comment.

Article: Where Does Tech Jargon Come From

No comments: