01 March 2009

New Computers, Hard Disk Crashes and a Birthday

This morning I woke up deciding to do some backups of videos and pictures of a recent vacation I had stored on my Dell Latitude E6400. Of course when I turned the computer on there was this strange cracking sound and the message saying there was no bootable drive. Sh*t! HDD crashes just cause a whole world of trouble and a lot of work and personal data is lost. I am usually pretty good about backing up but this time I just didn't have a chance and so I didn't back things up for a while. I am hoping some of the data can be recovered.

The irony is that today is my wife's birthday. We were thinking of buying a new computer and up until today I was pretty impressed with my Dell and thinking of buying one for her as a birthday present. But, when a four month old computer has a HDD crash for no apparent reason I would be mad to buy another one? So Dell lost a sale especially since there was no support available. So we went and bought a new Acer Aspire 4935G. The computer isn't bad so far. Our last computer was an Acer Tablet that we ran into the ground over five years. We have always been happy with Acer and the support and performance offered. We were almost tempted into buying a Lenovo but the addition US$300 price tag didn't seem to make it a worthwhile process. So we will be running this new Acer and see how it goes. If it screws up I will let you know.

Oh yes, today is Hi Tech Taipei's first birthday. So Happy Birthday Hi Tech Taipei. Our first post on the 500 GHz processor has become our Raison d'ĂȘtre. So in one year we have had close to 250 posts, sometimes we have taken a break, other times we have been very active but we are still here alive and kicking.

Anyway, to all of you who have read my blog and participated by commenting, thanks. I appreciate your participation and please continue. As for the rest of you or anyone else, I look forward to your participation in the future.

So happy birthday and may our Aspire live long, longer than my Dell.

No comments: